Senior Business Development Manager – Public Sector
Join the Growth Story at Envitia
We’re a software and services company on an exciting growth trajectory with 25+ years’ experience in delivering world-class geospatial software and spatial data science expertise to customers in the public sector.
We’re building a team that is hungry for success with a culture that is fun, supportive yet challenging, and we’re looking for talented like-minded people to join us on this journey. We’re also looking for people who are comfortable with challenging the norm so we can get truly diverse thinking when solving problems and not just senior management making decisions – we live by the principles of empowerment and this role is pivotal to the success of the business.
What do we do? In short, we solve complex data problems to help our customers make better and faster decisions where location is a large part of our customers’ operations. We do this through our team of data consultants or through our software products or solutions where we enable customers to search for, and then visualise, data so they have great situational awareness and can make better decisions.
About the Role
This role is for a true hunter who is comfortable with consultative sales in the geospatial sector. This means an ability to generate your own leads and build insightful relationships with customers, understand key problems and respond as a trusted advisor. Think hustle plus empathy plus experience of customers.
You’ll be able to clearly identify the real customer problems that sit behind any procurement requirements then ascertain the value that Envitia brings to each unique project.
Key tasks include:
- Build and pursue a pipeline of market opportunities in-line with the sales strategy
- Develop new customer relationships in order to deliver profitable new business growth through understanding their needs and requirements
- Accurately forecast sales to agreed timescales against monthly, quarterly & annual targets
- Lead the full sales cycle from lead generation to proposal submission, negotiation and contract award
- Identify marketing & PR opportunities linked to relevant markets, customers & opportunities
- Liaise closely with Consultants and Engineering team for opportunities
- Maintain accurate account plans & strategies
- Maintain accurate CRM updates & customer meeting notes
- Engage in company-wide initiatives: be an Envitia Ambassador.
You’re not looking for a standard 9-5 role. You want the best of both worlds: a start-up mentality with disruptive thinking and a ‘growth mindset culture’, but with the security of a profitable, larger company, with a solid customer base and financial stability.
The most important thing is that you love what you do and have a passion for exploring and pushing the boundaries whilst having fun. You’re extremely ambitious and driven – mediocrity isn’t acceptable either from you or from those around you. You’re confident but humble and look to your peers to help you improve. We have a team sales target and monthly peer reviews so it is critical you fit in well (they’ll be conducting the first round interviews). The CEO is also the Sales Director and the department works by having senior BDMs that are comfortable and empowered to run their own pipelines and know when and how to communicate and brainstorm.
This is not a role for someone who’s needs significant support and daily guidance. Instead, it’s someone who finds problems, uses their initiative to come up with ideas and works well with others to get the best solution.
Essential Skills & Experience:
- Demonstrable success of consultative solution sales through a mix of software and services
- Track record of leading the full sales cycle from lead generation to contract award for £500k+ opportunities
- Can demonstrate annual sales numbers in excess of £3 million
- Can demonstrate progression / year-on-year growth of sales numbers
- Experience of working in an organisation that has 40% + year-on-year growth
- Takes accountability and ownership. Demonstrable track record of working autonomously to build portfolio
- Both strategic and tactical in thinking: capable of understanding the intricacies of Public Sector engagement
- Effective user of a CRM to drive accurate and regular customer touch point/reporting and pipeline analysis.
- Natural self-starter: highly resilient in the face of rejection or challenge
- High EQ: confident communicating and influencing stakeholders and colleague at all levels. Successfully engage with both technical and non-technical colleagues/clients
- Really great communication skills both in spoken and written English
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team
- High attention to detail.
The package & benefits:
- £160,000 OTE with equity available in the future for the right candidate
- Car allowance
- Flexible working – choose your working location and hours that suit you and your home life
- Medical & life insurance, plus attractive company pension
- 25 days holiday plus your birthday as holiday
- Perkbox membership to help you with your everyday purchases
- Free Eye Tests, as well as contribution towards glasses
Many of our public sector customers require UK Security Clearance as a mandated requirement. You’ll need to provide proof of identity, employment history and right to work in the UK, along with proof of UK residency, for at least five years.