In our previous post, we discussed some of the open source alternatives to both Google Earth and the Google Maps API, suggesting that the open source stack of GeoServer, GeoWebCache, OpenLayers and QGIS provides a compelling and powerful alternative to proprietary platforms that have recently proposed as an alternative to the now-deprecated Google Earth Enterprise software.
Open source Spatial Data Infrastructures (SDIs) are not for everyone, however. Some customers require the security and support provided by commercial solutions. Others prefer a mixed economy – leveraging free open source software where possible, but deploying commercial software to provide the all-important glue, and to implement more complex business logic or application layers on top of those open source systems.
For such customers, Envitia GeoInt Server provides a compelling and flexible alternative – both to FOSS solutions, and to the ESRI platform – offering a full ‘behind the firewall’ enterprise SDI, giving you full control over your data, as well as world-class visualisation tools and SDKs. GeoInt Server seeks to utilise the best of open source software, whilst providing additional developer and workflow tools – the ‘glue’ that brings the SDI to life.
For customers migrating from Google Earth specifically, Envitia GeoInt Server offers:
- Work with your existing Google Earth data. Manage Google Earth assets via Envitia Discovery. Visualise KML directly in web and desktop applications.
- Support for specialist source data formats (including defence, aviation, hydrographic and meteorology/oceanography) – over and above the standard GIS formats supported by mainstream alternatives.
- Integration with MapLink Pro, GDAL/OGR and FME for the widest possible format support.
Superior data management through Envitia Discovery. Automate your SDI with
- OGC CSW compliant data cataloguing
- Workflow automation for data processing, transformation and publication
- Integration with FME, GeoServer and GeoWebCache
Best in class data visualisation
- Out-of-the box data visualisation templates for dozens of spatial data formats
- Automated publication to the high-performance Envitia WMS, and/or GeoServer and GeoWebCache
- High quality 3D visualisations via the new MapLink Pro 3D SDK – delivering integration with open source osgEarth
Software Development Kits
- Develop custom analysis functions and web processing services using the MapLink Pro SDKs
- Extensive C++, Java and .NET APIs
Collaboration and interoperability – including superior support for OGC standards (CSW, WMS, WMTS, WFS, WPS and WCS)
- Support for the new OGC GeoPackage standard for offline map packages
For further information, please contact Envitia on:
UK office tel: +44 1403 273 173
US office tel: +1 703 871 5255
Matthew Wood, Product Manager